19 July 2005

A story on Thinking that amused and inspired me

Some time ago I received a call from a colleague who asked if I would be the referee on the grading of an examination question. He was about to give a student a zero for his answer to a physics question, while the student claimed he should receive a perfect score and would if the system were not set up against the student. The instructor and the student agreed to an impartial arbiter, and I was selected.

I went to my colleague's office and read the examination question: 'Show how it is possible to determine the height of a tall building with the aid of a barometer.'

The student had answered: 'Take the barometer to the top of the building, attach a long rope to it, lower the barometer to the street, and then bring it up, measuring the length of rope. The length of the rope is the height of the building.'

.. read the rest

3 comments:

ROhan said...

Ha !!!
Found UR blog .. :-P

Anonymous said...

So what was your answer? Surely you had to bow to logic and give the student full marks.

John H

Gitanjali said...

Yes, of course, I thought it was brilliant, I liked the one where he says, Superintendent, I give you this barometer if you tell me how tall the building is!