23 June 2006

Lunchtime at Farringdon Road

Afternoons in the office between one and two.

Activity dims. Chaos and chatter leave. I almost have the place to myself. I can hear stray coughs, heavy breathing and soporific tap-tap of keyboards. A lunchbox is opened. Buses rumble on the street. A train rattles past. I can hear where I sit, five floors above. I eat lunch. Read a book review. The sound of rustling newspapers punctuates the quiet in the room. A phone buzzes quietly. There is a conversation in the next room.

The sound of a footfall entering the room, and the spell is broken!

2 comments:

karthik c said...

wow! u should be writing books, not testcases.

i didn't get the last line though? did u mean football?

Gitanjali said...

Thank you KC!

I did mean footfall, as in footstep. The world cup is getting to you Kc :-)